How can you figure out the best place to put an EV Charging Station?
Finding the best places to put EV charging stations is as easy as evaluating 3 basic criteria:
- What type of businesses or facility will the EV charging station be located near?
- Where in that business or facility’s parking lot has the most visibility? (i.e. the best micro-property located within the parking lot might be spots right in front of the store)
- How much of your profits are you willing to pay as rent for the location?
So, since I think this list might grow over time, give me a shout/ leave a comment if there are any locations you think should be added.
Please note that this list is for what traditional commercial property locations are generally good (like types of businesses) and that I will write another article about specific micro-property locations (e.g. in front of the store, near bathrooms in a park, near elevators in parking garages, etc.) in the near future.
Hopefully this list provides you with some ideas for where to place EV charger, as their number are likely to grow significantly in the near future.
Location, Location, Location
Without further ado – the best places to put EV chargers are:
- Warehouses with lots of employees
- Office Buildings
- Basketball courts
- Baseball fields
- Soccer Fields
- Parks in general
- Gas Stations – yeah, they’ll need to slowly convert to electric to survive
- Truck Stops
- Highway Rest Areas
- Schools – especially high schools with a lot of student drivers
- Government Offices (How long have you waited at a Department of Motor Vehicles?)
- Community Recreation Centers
- Mechanics Shops
- Parking Garages – especially if you own your own spot
- Car Dealerships
- Boat Dealerships
- Motorcycle Dealerships
- Art Galleries
- Skate Parks
- Theme Parks
- Paintball Parks
- Golf Courses
- Rental Properties like AirBNB, VRBO, VASA
How much are you willing to pay in rent?
Nobody wants to pay rent. But, landlords love receiving rent (typically called ancillary income when it is rent from a vending machine or EV charger). So, if you want the very best location to lease your EV charger, you’ll need to make the landlord happy and give them a cut of your profits each month or quarterly. They may have particular requirement for your charger as well, like it needs to go with some color scheme.
Best Places to Put EV Charging Stations Wrap-Up
That’s all the good locations that seem to make sense. There are likely other great locations to put EV charging stations (and a top notch EV charger locator could help), so this list will continue to be updated. For specific locations, be sure to search the listings on the Micro Real Estate website.
There’s also plenty of cool EV charging stations that you could check out to get some ideas for specialized places to put them. Also, it probably makes sense to get a security camera or two to help ward of vandalization of your EV charger.